Monday, 27 October 2008

Coulda Seen This Coming

Many of you may have been wondering- where's Ian?

Not in a physical sense of course- you both know all too well where I am- but in terms of my internet presence. I start a blog, talk about shit for a while, then briefly switch to simply talking shit, then stop.

Well, the reasons for this are two-fold:

1. I've been rather busy of late worrying about all the stuff I've got to sort out before I move to London (but not actually doing any of it of course), working full time for a change, and hoping that those parts of my life I have no memory of and have hitherto written off as drunken oblivion have actually been spent writing a novel. Well, it worked for Bret Easton Ellis...

2. I'm not really sure what this blog is for. I'm too modest and unproductive to just use it to post my writing (certain shit aside); too apathetic and disengaged with the world around me for social commentary (besides, Charlie Brooker is doing a fine job of that for all of us); not interesting enough to make it autobiographical, and frankly bemused by the number of blogs that seem to be filled with obituaries that use words like "gutted" (though thankfully not usually to describe what happened to the deceased).

So I'm left with the question: what's my blog for? What's the point?

Well, an Austrian friend of mine has the novel philosophy that there is absolutely no point to human existence, so we're free to do what we like with it- savour it or squander it, make the most of it or fritter it away.

So for now that will be my approach to blogging- show up occasionally, witter on about pseudo-existential rubbish for a bit, then disappear again- bit like Ray Mears, but with less conviction.

That'll have to do, until I come up with a better idea. Ok with you?

No comments: